Beatty Backs Forward-Thinking Moving Forward Act
WASHINGTON, D.C.–U.S. Congresswoman Joyce Beatty (OH-03) joined a majority of her House colleagues to pass the Moving Forward Act, H.R. 2. The sweeping, comprehensive piece of legislation invests more than $1.5 trillion to rebuild our country’s crumbling infrastructure, creates millions of good-paying jobs, combats the climate crisis and addresses disparities throughout America. Following the landmark vote, she said:
“The Moving Forward Act is a bold plan to bring our nation’s infrastructure up to speed so that America can compete in the global economy as we recover from the COVID-19 Pandemic. This bill goes beyond what we traditionally think of as infrastructure—roads, bridges, and mass transit—to also make critically needed investments in broadband, schools, clean energy and healthcare. I am particularly proud of the work we did in the Financial Services Committee to support affordable housing infrastructure, which is so important for the future of Ohio’s Third Congressional District and our nation. I also am glad the bill addresses the need to close the access to broadband divide in our schools and communities and looks to the future to include clean energy and advances in technology needs.”
The Moving Forward Act delivers on House Democrats’ ‘For the People’ initiative to create the infrastructure of the future and deliver far-reaching, forward-thinking progress for communities across the country. Legislative highlights include:
- Rebuilds our highways, bridges, transit, rail, airports, ports and harbors by investing nearly $500 billion to improve safety, reduce gridlock and put the U.S. on a path toward zero emissions from the transportation sector, all while protecting American jobs with strong ‘Buy America’ provisions and labor protections.
- Invests boldly in affordable housing by directing over $100 billion to reduce housing inequality, create jobs, stimulate the economy, improve living conditions and increase environmental sustainability and climate resilience.
- Secures our children’s futures by helping safely reopen and rebuild schools with a $130 billion investment in school infrastructure targeted at high-poverty schools that do not meet health and safety standards, while also creating 2 million jobs.
- Upgrades hospitals and health care infrastructure by investing $30 billion to increase capacity and strengthen care, help community health centers respond to COVID-19 and future public health emergencies, improve clinical laboratory infrastructure and maximize capacity for community-based care.
- Modernizes our energy infrastructure for a clean energy future by investing more than $70 billion to transform our electric grid, promote new renewable energy infrastructure and strengthen existing infrastructure, help develop an electric vehicle charging network and support energy efficiency.
- Promotes investments in our local communities by spurring private investment through the tax code, revitalized Build America Bonds program, expansions of Private Activity Bonds and significant enhancements to the New Markets Tax Credit and the Rehabilitation Tax Credit.
- Expands affordable high-speed Internet to underserved communities with a $100 billion investment that better connects children to remote learning, closes broadband and digital skills gaps and ensures affordability.
- Guarantees all communities have clean water by investing tens of billions to remove dangerous contaminants from our drinking water and invests in new, safe wastewater infrastructure.
# # #