Twitter icon
Facebook icon
Flickr icon
YouTube icon
RSS icon
instagram

Congresswoman Joyce Beatty

Representing the 3rd District of Ohio

Joyce Beatty, other Ohio Democrats join measure to scrap Trump’s national emergency

Feb 22, 2019
News Articles

WASHINGTON — With Ohio facing the possible loss of military construction dollars, all four of the state’s U.S. House Democrats are co-sponsoring a resolution to invalidate President Donald Trump’s order declaring a national emergency, allowing him to use those funds to build a barrier along parts of the Mexican border.

The resolution, which was unveiled Friday and likely will pass the House as early as Tuesday, is backed by Democrats Marcy Kaptur of Toledo, Tim Ryan of Niles, Marcia Fudge of Cleveland and Joyce Beatty of suburban Columbus.

They have joined 217 other Democrats and Republican Justin Amash of Michigan to back the measure, which is more than enough to guarantee passage. The GOP-controlled Senate would have to approve the same resolution before it can go to Trump, who pledged Friday to veto it.

“Will I veto it? 100 percent,” Trump told reporters in the Oval Office. “And I don’t think it survives the veto. We have too many smart people that want border security.”

A veto override would require a two-thirds majority in both the House and Senate.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said in a call with reporters: “The president’s act is lawless. It does violence to our Constitution and therefore to our democracy. His declaration strikes at the heart of our Founders’ concept of America, which demands separation of powers.”

The White House plans to divert $3.6 billion previously approved by Congress for military construction projects so Trump can keep his “build the wall” promise and build roughly 200 miles of barriers.

Kaptur said before Trump “rushes to fulfill an ill-advised campaign promise few think will even work, the president should answer the question of just how it is we went from Mexico paying for his monument to depriving our military of its operational priorities to fund it.”

Ryan called it “outrageous” that Trump is taking away money from defense for the barrier, adding that “the president cannot be allowed to continue this political charade.”